Wound/Vascular Clinic Nurse, RN
Date Posted: August 14, 2019
Reports to: Clinic Nurse Manager
Location: Mercy Hospital
Job Status/Hours: Full time
Position Summary: The RN in this position is responsible to assist in day-to-day clinic efficiency, patient flow and care coordination for vascular and wound clinic patients.
- Assist in providing comprehensive cardiac and surgical care in clinic environment and telephonically.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills with health care team and works to eliminate communication barriers.
- Collaborates with colleagues and providers to plan and implement smooth transition for patient and family throughout the continuum of care.
- Will work with physicians in providing quality health care services in the outpatient cardiology labs, serving as a liaison between the emergency department, EP lab, and other departments within Allina Health and other facilities to ensure patient follow up in a timely manner.
- Pre-visit planning includes verifying all orders are placed, all diagnostic and/or lab tests are scheduled in an effort to maximize the patient visit.
- Accurately document provider’s verbal orders and implement plan.
- Proper management of wound care by treating and monitoring wounds that are the result of disease, injury, or medical treatments under the direction of podiatrist/MD.
- Respond to patient questions and health needs per Triage or return phone calls. Gather information and symptomatology to establish an adequate assessment. Forward information to provider.
- Complete prior authorization forms for medical and treatment therapies.
- Assist in clinic as needed with procedures and complete independent nurse visits.
- Assist with clinic visits, rooming patients, recording weight, height, current medications, allergies, vital signs, and stated reason for visit as needed. Assess, evaluate, and document patient visit.
- Prepare, explain, and assist with instructing procedures and treatments.
- Perform ECG tracings, understanding and interpretation of standard clinic response to each rhythm.
- Provide patient instruction, placement, and removal of Holter and Event recorders. Assess and evaluate patient understanding of purpose and furnish equipment.
- Demonstrate ability to work with confidential and controlled information including patient records, physician DEA numbers and prescriptions.
- Provide detailed education and explanation of purpose and function, instructions and potential side effects of medications. Utilize handout tools.
- Authorize prescription refills as directed by supervising physician. Telephone/fax prescriptions to pharmacy.
- Review discharge orders with patient.
- Coordinate with CMA/LPN to schedule ordered tests and procedures.
- RN is responsible for providing a detailed plan of care including explanations and educational resources regarding orders, medications, and tests/procedures.
- Provide patients with test results, assess and evaluate patients understanding and refer to physician if necessary.
- Obtain patient information and necessary reports and tests related to patient visit per release.
- Write orders, return to work notes (per provider verbal orders).
- Assist provider in organization and completion of in baskets.
- Screen test results for abnormalities and need for immediate intervention (access to physician’s attention).
- Promote the team approach – lead by example.
- Negotiate and delegate workloads as appropriate.
- Assist in the clinic as requested especially with comprehensive discharge orders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Five years of RN experience
- Advanced medical and cardiology terminology
- Clinical assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation skills
- Basic Life Support
- Demonstrated strengths in the following competencies:
|Integrity and Trust||Humor|
|Interpersonal Savvy||Standing Alone|
|Problem Solving||Time Management|
|Action Oriented||Communication (written and verbal)|
To apply, submit your resume to HumanResources@mhvi.com
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran or disability status.