Structural Heart Nurse Coordinator
Date Posted: Oct. 23, 2020
Reports to: Director of CV Clinical Operations
Location: Mercy Hospital
Job Status/Hours: 0.8 FTE
The RN in this position is responsible for the care coordination of the structural heart program as part of a team of cardiology providers, structural heart coordinators and a structural program support coordinator. Responsibilities include TAVR, MitraClip, WATCHMAN and all structural heart patient care coordination.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Receive and review patient referrals for appropriateness, reviewing with an attending provider as needed
- Establish contact with patient/family. Explain process and work-up.
- Obtain all outside imaging, scheduling screening procedures and structural heart clinic visit
- Assist patient/family with navigation of testing schedule
- Perform functional assessments and frailty testing
- Have all testing available for review by cardiologist and CTS at clinic visit
- Participate in development of treatment plan
- Patient and family education
- Facilitate direct contact between cardiologist and referring physician regarding treatment plan
- Coordinate any additional testing i.e. cath, TEE, CT
- Upload required data to appropriate vendor and maintain communication with device representatives
- Facilitate scheduling and authorization of structural heart procedures
- Contacts the patient 48-72 hours post discharge and then as needed until stable.
- Participates follow-up visits and coordinates further follow-up per registry requirement.
- Coordinates concerns among multiple departments including but not limited to OR, cath lab, anesthesia, CT, echo, vascular, hospital units.
- Initiates and coordinates outreach programs.
- Initiates and coordinates education for hospital staff.
- Tracks required registry data to be sure requirements are being met.
- Attends weekly valve conference at Mercy.
- Be available to patients and families through all stages of care.
- Establish strong working relationship with surgeons, interventionalist, advanced practice providers, and device representatives
- Flexibility to adapt to new technologies and procedures as they evolve: TAVR, MitraClip, WATCHMAN, etc.
EMPLOYMENT SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Five to seven years of RN experience.
- BSN nursing preferred
- Diplomatic personality, with strong drive to grow and own a program
- Clinical assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation skills.
- Care Coordination experience a plus
- Ability to communicate respectfully and effectively with physicians, patients, staff and public
- Ability to manage numerous interruptions during the work day and reprioritize as needed
- Sound knowledge of CV health and related diagnostic services
- Ability to educate patients, families, staff and students
- Strong ability to problem solve and multitask
- Ability to anticipate needs of patients while working closely with physicians to establish plan of care/continuum of care
- Enthusiasm for new treatment options for high risk patients
- Demonstrated strengths in the following competencies:
|Integrity and Trust||Humor|
|Interpersonal Savvy||Standing Alone|
|Problem Solving||Time Management|
|Action Oriented||Communication (written and verbal)|
To apply, submit your resume to HumanResources@mhvi.com
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran or disability status.