Device Nurse, RN
Date Posted: August 14, 2019
Reports to: Nurse Manager
Location: Mercy Hospital
Job Status/Hours: Full time (.8-1.0 FTE)
This position is responsible for coordinating and maintaining daily operations of the Device clinic along with the physician(s), assisting licensed practitioners by maintaining daily clinic visits, providing RN care management with assigned physician(s), and team with clinic staff to maintain clinic flow, prompt responses to patients needs.
- Telephonically assess, interpret and evaluate pacemaker’s functions, assess patient questions/concerns and refer as appropriate.
- Ability to think independently and make decisions within scope of practice.
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology of the heart, cardiac electrophysiology and rhythm interpretation.
- Indications for implantation of pacemakers, bi-ventricular devices and defibrillators.
- Knowledge of modes of pacing, ICD arrhythmia detection parameters and therapy options.
- Device system evaluation, testing and data interpretation.
- Recognition of normal vs. abnormal device function, ability to troubleshoot device related issues.
- Cardiac arrhythmias–evaluate and appropriately classify, assess effectiveness of prescribed therapy. Address inappropriate detection, therapy or therapy failure with EP physician in timely fashion.
- Clearly document evaluation outcome of visit, including summary of device testing.
- Communicate effectively with patient/family regarding their device system and plan of care for the short and long-term follow up of their device.
- Triage ICD, pacemaker and EP telephone calls.
- Perform TTM calls.
- Perform and coordinate remote follow-up visits (Latitude, Carelink, Merlin, and Biotronik)
- Maintain device testing equipment and understand use of each.
- Assist with clinical research trials.
- Maintain records related to device advisory/recalls/alerts. Assist MD with new advisory information, identifies patient population included and communicate with patients regarding the advisory information.
- Assist with AV optimization procedure in cooperation with echo/EKG.
- Wound checks—ability to recognize wound complications and develop plan of care with MD.
- Travel between sites.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Assist in providing comprehensive cardiac care in clinic environment.
- Perform ECG tracings, understand and interpret intermediate ECG rhythms and advanced standard clinic response to each rhythm.
- Demonstrate ability to work with confidential and controlled information including patient records, physician DEA numbers and prescriptions.
- RN is responsible for providing a detailed plan of care including explanations and educational resources regarding orders, medications, and tests/procedures.
- Update medication lists.
EMPLOYMENT SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Current Minnesota Nursing License, BLS and ACLS certification
- Five to seven years of RN experience.
- Two to four years of PCCU/CCU/ICU/Cath Lab experience OR recent two to five years of experience in Device Clinic setting.
- Advanced medical and cardiology terminology.
- Advanced ECG rhythm interpretation, ability to verbalize and demonstrate knowledge of pacemaker and defibrillator systems, system analysis and measurement, programming and troubleshooting principles.
- Clinical assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation.
- Ability to administer medication injections and blood draws.
- Basic computer knowledge a must. Excellian/Epic experience strongly desired.
- Demonstrated strengths in the following competencies:
|Integrity and Trust||Humor|
|Interpersonal Savvy||Standing Alone|
|Problem Solving||Time Management|
|Action Oriented/Priority Setting||Communication (written and verbal)|
|Change Resilient/Personal Learning||Intellectual Horsepower|
If you are interested in this position, please email resume to: email@example.com
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran or disability status.