Cardiology Clinic Triage Nurse, RN
Date Posted: July 26, 2023
Reports to: Nurse & Clinic Manager
Location: MHVI – Mercy Hospital campus (Coon Rapids, MN)
Job Status/Hours: Full time, 40 hours per week
The Registered Nurse (RN) is a licensed professional caregiver who assumes responsibility and accountability for assessing, planning, implementation and evaluating care of patients primarily via telephone interactions. The RN utilizes the nursing process by use of technology, therapeutic intervention, and coordination of care with other health team members. RNs at Metropolitan Heart and Vascular Institute (MHVI) are committed to providing patient-centered care while demonstrating our values of Integrity, Trust and Accountability.
- Promote the mission, vision and values of the organization.
- Demonstrate ability to work with confidential and controlled information including patient records, physician DEA numbers and prescriptions.
- Assist in providing comprehensive cardiac care in clinic environment.
- Evaluates and assesses patient’s health care needs based on patient’s signs and symptoms utilizing established triage protocols and guidelines.
- Obtains appropriate input and direction from the provider as needed to determine best clinical course of action and recommendations for specific patient health care needs.
- Accurately document providers’ verbal orders and implement plan. In addition, accurately documenting patient symptoms/complaints, nursing assessment, advice provided and patient or caller response. Follow policies, procedures and protocols to ensure consistency and effectiveness as well as improve outcomes for our patients.
- Assist staff with daily clinic visits, rooming patients, recording weight, height, current medications, allergies, vital signs, and stated reason for visit as needed. Assess, evaluate, and document patient visit.
- Prepare, explain, and assist with instructing procedures and treatments.
- Perform ECG tracings, understanding and interpretation of standard clinic response to each rhythm.
- Provide empathy and reassurance to patients on telephone calls and in-person visits.
- Manage nurse-directed patient telephone calls and from walk-in patients requesting health care needs.
- Assure that pertinent medical information is forwarded to proper departments as needed for continuity of patient care.
- Manage prescription refills as directed by supervising physician and MHVI protocol. Telephone/fax prescriptions to pharmacy.
- Review discharge orders with patient.
- Assist doctors in organization and completion of in-baskets.
- Capacity to function independently within licensed scope of practice.
- Travel between sites on occasion.
- Other duties as assigned.
- RN experience, cardiology preferred
- Advanced medical and cardiology terminology
- Clinical assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation
- Previous experience with EMRs, preferably EPIC
- Demonstrated strengths in the following competencies:
Patient Focus Composure Integrity and Trust Humor Interpersonal Savvy Standing Alone Problem Solving Time Management Action Oriented Communication (written and verbal) Adaptability Intellectual Horsepower
MHVI offers a full benefit package, including:
– Competitive pay
– Uniform (scrub) allowance
– Employer HSA contribution
– 401k profit sharing and ongoing contribution – no employee contribution needed
– PTO plus paid holidays
– Medical insurance, including access to free online/at-home care
To apply, submit your resume to HumanResources@mhvi.com
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran or disability status.