Cardiology Clinic Float RN, EP Triage
Date Posted: January 2024
Reports to: Nurse & Clinic Manager
Location: MHVI – Mercy Hospital campus (Coon Rapids, MN)
Job Status/Hours: Full time, 40 hours per week
Position Summary: The RN in this position is responsible to assist in day-to-day clinic efficiency, patient flow and care coordination within multiple subspecialties/departments in clinic.
Major areas of accountability:
- Assist in providing comprehensive cardiac care in clinic environment with strong emphasis on Electrophysiology patient population.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills with health care team and works to eliminate communication barriers.
- Collaborates with colleagues and providers to plan and implement smooth transition for patient and family throughout the continuum of care.
- Pre-visit planning includes verifying all orders are placed, all diagnostic and/or lab test are scheduled in an effort to maximize the patient visit.
- Accurately document provider’s verbal orders and implement plan.
- Assist staff with daily clinic visits, rooming patients, recording weight, height, current medications, allergies, vital signs, and stated reason for visit as needed. Assess, evaluate, and document patient visit.
- Prepare, explain, and assist with instructing procedures, and treatments.
- Perform ECG tracings, understanding and interpretation of standard clinic response to each rhythm.
- Provide patient instruction, placement, and removal of Holter and Event recorders. Assess and evaluate patient understanding of purpose and furnish equipment.
- Demonstrate ability to work with confidential and controlled information including patient records, physician DEA numbers and prescriptions.
- Provide detailed education and explanation of purpose and function, instructions and potential side effects of medications. Utilize handout tools.
- Authorize prescription refills as directed by supervising physician, per MHVI prescription refill policy. Telephone/fax prescriptions to pharmacy.
- Review discharge orders with patient.
- Coordinate with CMA/LPN to schedule ordered tests and procedures.
- RN is responsible for providing a detailed plan of care including explanations and educational resources regarding orders, medications, and tests/procedures.
- Provide patients with test results, assess and evaluate patients understanding and refer to physician if necessary.
- Obtain patient information and necessary reports and tests related to patient visit per release.
- Write orders, return to work notes (per Dr. verbal orders).
- Telephone triage.
- Assist provider in organization and completion of in baskets.
- Assist in the clinic to maintain efficiency and flow.
- Screen test results for abnormalities and need for immediate intervention (access to Dr’s attention).
- Promote the team approach – lead by example.
- Negotiate and delegate work loads as appropriate.
- Competent in performing all LPN/CMA job duties.
- Assist in the clinic as requested especially with comprehensive discharge orders.
- Assist RN teams with high volumes of daily tasks, in baskets, and refills.
- Ensure coverage of floor during lunch hour.
- Respond to patient questions and health needs per Triage or return phone calls. Gather information and symptomatology to establish an adequate assessment. Forward information to Provider.
- Travel between sites.
- Other duties as assigned by leadership.
Employment selection criteria:
- Five to seven years of RN experience.
- Advanced Medical and Cardiology Terminology.
- Clinical assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation skills.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support preferred.
- Ability to communicate respectfully and effectively with physicians, patients, staff and public.
- Sound knowledge of CV health and related diagnostic services
- Ability to educate patients, families, staff and students.
- Ability to problem solve and multitask.
- Ability to anticipate needs of patients awhile working closely with physicians to establish plan of care/continuum of care.
- Strong adaptability skills
Note: Some requirements in this job description may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. All requirements are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and experience required. To perform this job successfully, the worker must possess the abilities and aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship. Management retains the discretion to add duties or change the duties of this position at any time.
MHVI offers a full benefit package, including:
– Competitive pay
– Uniform (scrub) allowance
– Employer HSA contribution
– 401k profit sharing and ongoing contribution – no employee contribution needed
– PTO plus paid holidays
– Medical insurance, including access to free online/at-home care
To apply, submit your resume to HumanResources@mhvi.com
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran or disability status.